Aust - Dept of Immigrations News Feed

New Zealand Visa Bureau News

Monday, November 22, 2010

When we arrive

My wife left for New Zealand 3 months prior to my daughter and I as she had to start work whilst I had to attend to things back home before leaving. It was a difficult moment especially for my daughter especially when she was only 4 years old. So to those who plan to relocate, a consideration was whether to move together as a family.

When my daughter and I reached New Zealand, it was an emotional reunion for my daughter as well as acclimatising to the new surrounding. My wife had already settled with a rental unit and bought a used car costing us about NZD2,500 from  a car dealer. The car was then 12 years old but the condition was not too bad for its age, although we did spend some money to maintain the car later. Most Kiwis however like to shop at trademe.co.nz, a website similar to ebay.

When I reached there the first few things I started to look for was the kindergarten for our daughter as most other important things such as banking, Internet access, power had been done by my wife. New settlers would consider the the following to be top of their list such as accommodation short term and in the longer term rental, bank account, power, water depending on area such as Auckland, home content insurance, doctors etc. New Zealand as well as Australia normally request references for important transactions such as renting a house. As such it would be handy if you could get ready some referees who are willing to help.

I would advise you to do some research on the best services you wish to subscribe. One of the recommended site would be Consumer which is an independant organisation that tests on products and services offered in New Zealand. Do lots of research as it would save you lots of money and a good service or product in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment